Over the last two weeks the Nursery children have been practicing following rules. The focus was on learning about kindness through role-modelling, routine, spontaneous opportunities and planned experiences, designed to broaden the children's involvement. Our children learned to share space and resources, to notice when someone is lonely or sad and to offer help.
We began by enhancing routine activities, including:
- Introducing children as helpers at snack and tidy up times,
- Staff modelling kindness more explicitly with each other and using key words for the children to hear.
- Providing children with more opportunities to share.
- Reading more stories about kindness, love and happiness.
- Reminders about courtesy throughout the day.